Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Would we really embrace every new thing that is marketed?

I'm afraid so.  One thing I want to be able to teach our children well is to be  wise consumers.  I want them to be able to make sound decisions for everything they buy.  And eat.  And read.  And wear.  :)  Basically, everything that affects their bodies, affects who they are.

Microwave ovens haven't been around forever.  We didn't have one when I was growing up.  I think the reason the microwave oven is so indispensable in the American home is because we are an impatient society.  If something can  be  done quicker, by all means, let's get that gadget that makes our life so much better by not losing as much time.  But who are we trusting that the microwave oven really does make our lives better?  The fact that almost everyone uses one doesn't really mean much.  Many people just do what other people do.

Is there any information around that can cause the thoughtful person to reconsider their usage of the microwave oven?  Here is one article.  Probably a favorite microwaved food is popcorn.  There have been concerns about it since 1997, however.  Undoubtedly, the first reaction to a report about dangers is skepticism.  But why?  Why not err on the side of caution, especially when there are alternative ways of making popcorn? 

I want not only the best for my family, but I want my children to be able to discern what's best for themselves.  The first thing any of them do when we're interested in a food item at the grocery store is to read the label.  I hope they will continue to do that and not be willingly ignorant of what's not good for them.

No comments: