Friday, May 28, 2010

If vaccines are truly effective...

I read from the CDC website that there was an outbreak of measles among vaccinated students at a high school in Illinois in 1984.

This is a quote at the end of the article:

Editorial Note: This outbreak demonstrates that transmission of measles can occur within a school population with a documented immunization level of 100%. This level was validated during the outbreak investigation.


Again from the CDC, there was a chicken pox outbreak among vaccinated children in MI in 2003.


Then another Chicken Pox outbreak among vaccinated children in NE in 2004.

And recently in New York and New Jersey, an outbreak of mumps occurred.   The CDC reports, "Among the patients for whom vaccination status was reported, 88% had received at least 1 dose of mumps-containing vaccine, and 75% had received 2 doses."


What's interesting to me is their conclusion from the above facts:  "Although mumps vaccination alone was not sufficient to prevent this outbreak, maintaining high measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccination coverage remains the most effective way to prevent outbreaks and limit their size when they occur."


Jay Wile, textbook writer, wrote on his blog that it's people who don't understand the scientific process who would question vaccinations.  Well, I guess I will just have to plead ignorance but from what happened in New York, it would seem to me that vaccinations were NOT effective and it takes those who really understand science to be able to see that while they were not effective, they should be given.  Is that what science is about?  Sounds like circular reasoning.  It's effective because everyone needs to be vaccinated.  Is that about right?

It hardly takes propaganda from the anti-vaccination camp to come up with facts like these.  We can trust the CDC, can't we?

3 comments:

Joel, Jes and the rest said...

I have enjoyed Apologia curriculum for my older two, but was disappointed in Jay Wile's opinions on vaccinations being stated in his textbooks. He can say what he would like on his blog, but to voice that opinion in his textbooks didn't set well with me. I guess that it keeps us on our toes making sure we know what our children are reading and putting in their minds.

Kimberline said...

I had heard about that as well and agree, he shouldn't have placed that into the texts :( Now when people push Apologia as a resource, I have a response.

I don't appreciate "propaganda" in my Christian textbooks any more than I do in non Christian books.

It seems like everyone is promoting an agenda and I just want my kids to get the basics in education. They can make up their own minds about things like Vax when they have read the information when they are old enough. For now it is our decision as parents and I sure don't want a text publisher inserting his 2 cents into my kid's reading material on this topic.

It kind of IRKS me!

Freida said...

Kimber,
Although I don't use the Apologia curriculum, many Christians do because they believe Jay Wile has presented science in a biblical manner. Vaccinations may be the only area I don't agree with him on.