Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The day God gave me strawberries, books and a Bumbo to lift me up

I have been rather dispirited of late.  I was telling a friend that I know I need to be joyful, especially for the children's sake.  Then God gave us a day so beautiful and so full of blessings that it was obvious that He wanted me to know that I can always find joy in Him.  We went strawberry picking for the first time ever.  The strawberries were organically grown!  The children, including Max!, enjoyed the eating as much as the picking.  Then we went across the street to a tiny thrift store which was selling books for .10 each.  There were so many wonderful children's books that it seemed like a candy store, but far cheaper and better for us.  I would've been fully satisfied with our treasure of books but then I saw a bumbo for $5!  A new-looking green bumbo with a tray, even.  I'd wanted to get one when I was pregnant with Noble, but didn't want one badly enough to pay full price.  I did see one at a thrift store once.  It was pink.  I thought it was too risky and I'm glad my caution paid off.  It's nice that there are wonderfully neutral colors, like green and brown, that would go with either sex. 

It really doesn't take a fortune to have children.  Any number of children.  Not even a small fortune.  You'd be surprised how much food we have in the refrigerator and how little we've spent on it.  Well, if you have a large family, you probably wouldn't be surprised.  (A keeper at home can become quite adept at getting incredibe money-saving deals.)  God doesn't stop providing at a certain number of children.  At one time when a friend asked if I was going to have as many as 10 children, I thought that was such a great number of children and that we'd never have that many.  (I had just turned 30 at the time and felt my childbearing years were numbered.)  That was when we only had 4.  Now with baby #8 on his/her way, 10 doesn't seem that many at all.  We even have enough seats in our van for a family of 12.  If someone chooses not to be blessed with many children, it surely cannot be because God will not provide.  The God that we serve is greater than the limits we put on Him for our excuses.  I can have joy, even when my husband is gone.  I just need to believe in Psalm 43:4, "Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy..."  The mother who says she can't quit her job because there won't be enough money is right.  There won't ever be enough when we're trusting in our own strength.  But with God, all things are possible.  Let's take Him at His Word and we'll never ever be disappointed. 






It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23

2 comments:

Kimberline said...

So glad you had a JOYFUL day, Freida! Father knows how to treat us right, doesn't he? I prayed for you after we chatted and I am thanking God that He took care of you :)

You are so right about God's provision for large families.

Soon I'd like to chat with you about a situation I have and pick your brain about what you would do in my place. You give Biblical advice and encouragement and I'd so appreciate that right now.

Love you, my dear friend!

Kimber

Christine said...

I am so glad that you had a blessed day , Freida. It amazes me that He is so in love with us, that He often gives us desires of our hearts, things which we haven't even asked for. I would love to hear where the organic strawberry farm is. Blessings ,dear friend!