Saturday, August 21, 2010

Baby is 23 weeks


There's no hiding the fact that I'm clearly with child now.  It's good to be asked about how many children I have and to be able to express thankfulness to God and how we look forward to welcoming more blessings of children into our family.  We're rather an oddity wherever we go.  The children tell me that they notice people staring.  It's good to be different this way and to be able to tell people that the reason for our family size is because we take God at His Word that children are a reward, blessings, and a natural and sweet consequence of a marriage that seeks to give glory to God.

I went to a seminar given by a Christian counselor called Caring for the Emotionally Damaged Heart.  The speaker said that babies may experience emotional stress in utero!  This would only make sense since we know that each little baby is a unique person that God has "knitted" together and knew from the foundation of the world.  We know this little person has an eternal soul.  S(he) can experience physical pain, so why not emotional pain?  I wonder how many babies are emotionally stressed with their birthing experiences and how that affects their well being in the first days of their lives.  Another huge reason to have a gentle birth at home.

1 comment:

Joel, Jes and the rest said...

I think that it makes sense that babies can experience emotional stress in utero. For example, of my 2 adopted children, one birthmother deeply desired to keep her baby, loved him and tried to find a way to parent him. The other I am not so sure about but she seemed very indifferent and unattached. I think that has something to do with the way my children's personalities have been shaped.
You look beautiful Freida!