Saturday, October 23, 2010

Baby is 32 weeks

Amazing.  Just amazing how fast this pregnancy is going.  I skipped quite a few weeks posting because a monumental event happened last month.  My husband came home after being gone for 4 months!

I'm up to 107 pounds.  And I feel it, especially after sitting for awhile and then getting up.  Although this pregnancy has been pretty normal, I have been plagued by itchy red bumps on my belly.  There's actually a name for this.  It's called pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP) or polymorphic eruption of pregnancy.  I've tried using coconut oil and it seems to help a little, but it's still pretty itchy.  I'd think that after 7 pregnancies, my skin would've gotten used to being stretched, but apparently not.  Other symptoms I'm experiencing are vulvar varicosities and hemorrhoids.  Getting older and being pregnant does have side effects, I guess, for me, but despite these annoyances, it's still pretty exciting knowing that my baby is growing and will be born soon.  This is such an active baby that there's hardly a time when I don't feel either the baby moving or my uterus contracting.

I haven't been walking as faithfully but I did go out yesterday and it felt good.  I took a bath last night and I am very grateful there's an inflatable pool waiting in the garage for the birth.  The bath tub was just way too shallow.  What's so nice about the inflatable pool is that the bottom is also inflated so it's not hard like the bathtub.  I would recommend getting an inflatable pool just for laboring in because it makes relaxation so much easier to come by even if the idea of birthing the baby isn't that appealing.  For me, I love that the baby is supported by water when s(he) is birthed and no one has to catch the baby. 

I don't know what made me so sure that I wanted a water birth with our first homebirth.  I didn't read any books specifically on water birthing, although a few books did mention using water as a relaxation tool.  My husband says he loves it, too.  He likes how everything is all in one place and how unmessy it is.  I've heard some homebirthers say they didn't realize how messy childbirth was but that hasn't been our experience at all.  We've never had to clean floors or sheets because of the birth.  All Chris has to do is to let the water out of the tub and we're all done.  Doesn't get easier than that!

2 comments:

Kimberline said...

I wish you a lovely water birth! Is that the same pool I sent you, Freida? Did you use it last time? I never knew if you had for sure or not. You never posted a full birth story, but then I never really press anyone to :) It is sort of their special story and some want to keep it that way.

And yes! The time seems to be just flying by doesn't it? Soon you will have that baby in your arms!

You are in my thoughts and prayers often. Take good care!

Freida said...

Yes, Noble was born in the pool you sent! Thank you again, friend, for being such a blessing. My next project is to write Noble's birth story. It's so similar to Noah's that if I don't get to it soon, I may forget all the details so thank you for the reminder. You are always so encouraging and helpful, Kimber. I really appreciate you.