Saturday, June 19, 2010

Can swimming be done modestly?

I think so.  The girls are wearing swim dresses made of swim suit material.  They have rash guards and swimming shorts underneath.
Everyone wears rash guards in our family because it's very helpful.  It keeps our torsos and arms from getting sunburned.  Why is it modest for men to be topless?  We believe boys and men should be clothed and not half dressed.  Same principle applies with the opposite sex, of course. 

What is it about the beach and other swimming places that make clothes so unnecessary?  Because of the activity and the location, one can be seen wearing underclothing?  Men, save your hairy chests (or lack of) for your wives.  Ladies, please don't tempt my boys with how little clothes you can get away with.

It's just too bad that swimming has become an x-rated activity.

How about some modesty quotes?

Modesty is the color of virtue.  Diogenes of Sinope


Modesty used to be considered a natural female attribute. No more.  Linda Chavez


As blushing will sometimes make a whore pass for a virtuous woman, so modesty may make a fool seem a man of sense.  Jonathan Swift





Modesty is the conscience of the body.   Honore de Balzac


 No education can be of true advantage to young women but that which trains them up in humble industry, in great plainness of living, in exact modesty of dress.   William Law

Nothing can atone for the lack of modesty; without which beauty is ungraceful and wit detestable.  Richard Steele

4 comments:

Hannah Leigh said...

Good post! If you want to get some great swimwear, you can google Wholesomewear.com
That's the kind we wear, and it's great!

In Christ,
-Hannah

Joel, Jes and the rest said...

Could you post the link to the page where you got the swimming dresses? I went to Old Navy online and couldn't find them....
Love them!! Modest AND adorable...a good combination, in my opinion.

Freida said...

Hey Jessica,

Old Navy must've sold out. The first time I saw them, there were several sizes available, but when I was ready to order, only XL was left. Grace's is a bit large on her, but it works. Keep looking! You never know where those modest clothes might be hiding!

Celee said...

I was a competitive swimmer growing up and now my 3 oldest kids swim on the swim team. While girl's suits haven't changed, the boy's suits are actually more modest now than they were when I was a kid. The boys now where these jammers that go down to mid-thigh. My son wouldn't dream of wearing a brief! My girls are still quite young (9 and 7) so modesty hasn't been too big of an issue, but it is something we've thought about. They have parkas they wear between events so they're not just lounging around in their swimsuits all the time. It is harder in the summer when it's hot and they're going back and forth to the neighbor's pool. As a conservative Christian family, modesty is important to us. I love that my kids swim, though. It's such a great sport for homeschoolers because it's a club sport and not associated with school. I hope my kids can continue to swim modestly through high school and maybe even college like I did.