Thursday, February 25, 2010

Be very careful writing a book

I want to write a book on homebirth, from a Christian perspective.  Chris and I have already talked about the importance of not giving medical advice.  That's really hard to not do.  I believe having a baby is safer at home.  That would technically be medical advice.  What if I actually wrote my book and a Christian read it and had her baby at home and her baby died?  What if she read my own account of having a baby unassisted and was persuaded to do the same and her outcome was not good?  Would every single writer in all of internet blogsphere rise up to condemn me for brainwashing that poor woman?  Probably.  I believe sales for Michael Pearl's book To Train Up a Child will suffer severely as a result of the death of a child by parents who read the Pearls' book.  But that will be nothing in comparison to the damage of their reputation. How many people have read their book and didn't abuse their children?  It doesn't matter.  One death is one too many and if the Pearls can be blamed, that just solves a lot of questions like why parents would kill their children?  Well, people have been doing it for a long time and for the last 40 years, it's been legal to kill our children, as long as they haven't been born yet.

Would it have been better had the Pearls not written their book?  Maybe.  But maybe those parents would've killed their child anyway.

No comments: